It's grey and dreary outside in Sydney, a cold front has hit the city and has even dumped snow in the Hills district.
It's DVD marathon time.
I saw Jack Black's School of Rock when I was on a plane- one good thing about travelling is that you get to see a lot of movies during those hours you have to kill.
The firm I am in has quite a few high profile projects in Asia, some completed and some underway. So we travel to our project offices in those asian cities. I will be leaving for Singapore and Shanghai soon. At the moment, many big Australian firms are concentrating their efforts in winning projects in China. This is where the majority of our current joint venture design projects are.
I noticed a blog post by a young Malaysian based aspiring architect literally gushing about our design projects in China. I thought he sounded a little bit like a yuppie (yes I used that term, does it show my age?) wanna-be- If he could only begin to know what kind of underhanded techniques we use to grab those projects and the “quality” of design we give them..... But I digress, I am veering off on a tangent.

Back to movies. Lost In Translation, I saw earlier in the year.
It seems to me to be more about alienation and loneliness. I suppose this is true for foreigners in Tokyo.
It's a brilliant piece. The soundtrack is amazing.
Going back a few years, another movie I loved is Four Rooms
A joint effort between four amazing independent film directors like Allison Anders and Quentin Tarantino. Well, he was indie back then. Enough said.
Just because I like borderline indie films doesn't mean I'm not yuppie scum.
I am yuppie scum TOO. Right from my black turtleneck to my square black architect spectacles.

My apologies. I am veering off on yet another tangent, as one is expected to do, on days like this.
It's DVD marathon time.
I saw Jack Black's School of Rock when I was on a plane- one good thing about travelling is that you get to see a lot of movies during those hours you have to kill.
The firm I am in has quite a few high profile projects in Asia, some completed and some underway. So we travel to our project offices in those asian cities. I will be leaving for Singapore and Shanghai soon. At the moment, many big Australian firms are concentrating their efforts in winning projects in China. This is where the majority of our current joint venture design projects are.
I noticed a blog post by a young Malaysian based aspiring architect literally gushing about our design projects in China. I thought he sounded a little bit like a yuppie (yes I used that term, does it show my age?) wanna-be- If he could only begin to know what kind of underhanded techniques we use to grab those projects and the “quality” of design we give them..... But I digress, I am veering off on a tangent.
Back to movies. Lost In Translation, I saw earlier in the year.
It seems to me to be more about alienation and loneliness. I suppose this is true for foreigners in Tokyo.
It's a brilliant piece. The soundtrack is amazing.
Going back a few years, another movie I loved is Four Rooms
A joint effort between four amazing independent film directors like Allison Anders and Quentin Tarantino. Well, he was indie back then. Enough said.
Just because I like borderline indie films doesn't mean I'm not yuppie scum.
I am yuppie scum TOO. Right from my black turtleneck to my square black architect spectacles.
My apologies. I am veering off on yet another tangent, as one is expected to do, on days like this.
1 comment:
It is about intimacy rather than alienation. Foreigness does not necessary equate to alienation. Both American Foreigners in Foreign land experience the other deeper than words can translate.
Post a Comment