Sunday, March 09, 2008

Wow. I'm floored by the 2008 Malaysian General Election results

So the people have spoken. I honestly never thought I'd see the day. And to think I wanted to spend my nice Sunday night with my laptop writing about how I spent my last weekend at the 2008 Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras party. (The event was a sea of love, acceptance and diversity, thanks very much for asking, sweetie.)

This is of particular interest to me because a person/s(?) related to me were/was up for elections in seat/s in a state that was not lost to the opposition. Post results: weary but still there to fight another day. I'm hazy I know, but those who know will just click into "A-HA!!!!" mode. You know who you are.


Here's what I have to say:


  • Congratulations to the new MP of Jelutong in Penang, Mr. Jeff Ooi!!! A person worthy enough to have the honour of representing the Malaysian people. You and your electric guitar ROCK! The triumvirate were utter rock stars, captured by TV Smith.
  • I was pleased to see that voters in KL were up in the 70+%. But in some towns in other states and even in rural areas, the turnout was incredibly poor. Less than half in some areas. Don't these people know how much their votes count? What is the reason: apathy? Or just plain laziness? WAKE UP AND MAKE VOTING COMPULSORY, MALAYSIA!
  • A televised moderated debate about issues concerning Malaysians should be televised on ASTRO as well as RTM. (That'll reach those people who can't get their arse off the couch on Election Day.) This way, voters can see the bigger picture on how they can have a say in the future of Malaysia. This will help voters look beyond micro-issues.
  • VIVA DEMOCRACY!

No comments: